USPHL Premier Through The Numbers: Sabers
It was the first sweep of the New Year for the Sabers as they finished the weekend with three wins over the Bakersfield Roughnecks with scores of 6-1, 6-4, and 8-1. San Diego is now 9-0 over the Roughnecks this season. The Sabers are at second points, just behind Fresno, with 50 points, alongside Ontario Jr. Reign in second place in the division. Both are seven points back of the Monsters.
The Sabers are tied for most wins in games where they were tied after one period, going 10-3-1-0.
- Lucas Lundy, an ‘02 from Delta, B.C., aided quite a bit in these wins with five points (three goals, two assists) including the GWG in game two of the weekend. With more than 10 games to go, he is already the second-leading defenseman scorer in the Sabers’ USPHL history and just five points from tying former Saber Ludvig Nilsson for first all-time.
- Czechia’s Michal Novak had a stellar weekend with 10 points recording three goals and seven assists. Novak is just four points off becoming the Sabers’ all-time leading scorer. He has recorded a 4-9-13 line in January’s five games so far.
- Following close behind was ‘04 Nevio D’Alessandro with eight points (one goal, seven assists).
- Felix Gouin has a 5-4-9 in scoring in all January games so far.
- Ethan Blackburn is 4-0-1-0 in his last five appearances, going back to the start of the USPHL Las Vegas Showcase on Dec. 19.
The Road Ahead: San Diego will look to continue their six-game win streak as they head to Lake Tahoe and face the Lakers on Jan. 27. The Sabers won all three meetings when they met between Oct. 29-31. The two teams split a six-game series last year, giving the Sabers an all-time lead of 6-3-0-0.